Pokemon Go emerged from a 2014 April Fool's in Google Maps: PokeMaps. On March 31, users around the world began seeing Pikachu, Jigglypuff, and Squirtle appear directly in their Google Maps.
The launch was supported with a blogpost, proactive social-first campaign, and video (40M views to date).
- Google Maps became #1 free App in the App Store (up from #9)
- Google Maps rose to the top 10 apps in the App Store in 10 markets globally. 151% increase in downloads globally
- 621.8M social impressions, with it being the #3 biggest social moment on twitter for Google that year
- Google Maps trended 3 separate times on Facebook
- 40M views on launch film (most viewed Google Maps film ever at the time)